As described in detail in the prior post, if Buda Castle were a cat, it probably has used up all nine of its lives. Bombarded and burned numerous times through the centuries, most recently during World War II, the hilltop palace was rebuilt over and over by determined Hungarians.
The Hungarian National Gallery moved into the Royal Palace in 1975. The immense collection of Hungarian art housed within ranges from late medieval to contemporary.
The figure above is a portion of “Apocalypse,” a sculptural work by artist Rudolf Rezso Berczeller (1912-1992) suspended dramatically in the central dome. Viewed from the outside, the landmark dome of Buda Castle appears from earlier times; inside, the soaring space is strikingly contemporary.
These photos represent a small sampling of the gallery’s holdings.